Evaluation

For my Final Major project I created a small book titled ‘Monster Field Spotting Guide’ a short booklet featuring various different monsters from mythologies, with a brief description, some sketches and a colour image of each creature in its habitat.

I did this as I have an interest in mythology and for my project I wanted to create some believable creatures as well as producing artwork to a high quality. I wanted my final pictures to have full proper backgrounds as these were some aspects I have neglected  and I also wanted to incorporate more media that I was less familiar with  such as watercolours to gain confidence and experience.

I think what I produced is relevant to the future in that I want to continue using the techniques and media that I used in my fmp. I am kind of interested in continuing making some images for my book as I do wish I had the time to make more pictures and I did have several unused creature designs left over.

I would like to have had a longer book but ran out of time, I should have started producing the art work for it a lot sooner but spent too much time sketching the creatures and life drawing. Because I decided to spend the remaining time working on images for the book I had to work past a ‘send to print’ deadline as I would have liked to have sent my book away for printing, having each colour image as a double page spread so would have had a book with more pages. I had to settle for a smaller book with less pages and colour images on only one page. I was also missing a page sketch that I did not have time to do. The image I did create intending for it was a bit rubbish so I decided against including it.
I am fairly pleased with most of my images, some of the backgrounds in some are a bit ropey but in others I feel I made it contribute better to the overall image.